21.2.11

my future tattoo



I have wanted a tattoo for a long time. It's taken awhile for me to settle on what I want and what would have the most meaning to me, but I finally settled on it. True, I won't be getting in until my 25th birthday in June 2012, but I've excited enough that I'm sharing now.

I want a phoenix on my ankle. "Why the phoenix?" with the Hebrew text "Beauty from Ashes" somehow weaved around it (I haven't decided how this looks yet. If you have any idea, comment here on how I should weave it in!) I hear you ask. Well, that's what this blog post is about, my dear friend!


It's about the legend of the phoenix. I doubt that anyone is a stranger to the story. Simply put, a Phoenix is about "beauty from ashes."

Which brings me to my second point: my faith. I'm not all "Yay Jesus!" and in your face about my faith, but I certainly don't make it a secret that I pray, that I hope, that I have faith, and that I worship Yahweh. One of my favorite passages is found in Isaiah 61:1-3 (New Living)


1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
for the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
and to proclaim that captives will be released
and prisoners will be freed.
2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the Lord’s favor has come,
and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies.
3 To all who mourn in Israel,
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the Lord has planted for his own glory.

Therefore, the text "Beauty for Ashes" seems fitting, and fits well with the phoenix theme. And I hate how English tattoos look personally, so since the OT was written in Hebrew it seems fitting.

And lastly, it's a dorky nod to Harry Potter. Harry Potter was a comfort item to me. When I was upset, when I was stressed, I'd bury myself in the Harry Potter books or the Harry Potter DVDs. And since they were such a huge support/comfort, having a tribute is important.

And now, you ask? Location? Either on the inside of the outside of my left ankle. The left side of my body has had the most health problems, and since it's about the symbolism of overcoming it seems perfectly fitting.

For I have overcome a lot. I've overcome seemingly impossible odds with family issues, health issues, mental issues...the list goes on and on. And I think something to symbolize what all I've overcome is very, very important!

0 replies ^_^:

Post a Comment