12.12.12

And the world will be a better place


Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand
Put a little love in your heart

There are so many stories in the news of all the bad in the world. We lie in extreme days and dark times. But even as we are coated in snow, even as our hearts are frozen, there are still good and kind people in the world. There are still people who reach out to others in need and want to make a difference in people's lives.
I was walking to Starbucks and there wasn't much of a sidewalk and what was wasn't shoveled.  It's below freezing and the walk was slow and tedious. As I'm passing the vet clinic, struggling through the snow (it's tough when not on crutches!) a young man asked me if I was waiting for the bus. I responded no, just going up the street to Starbucks. He then introduced himself (a young lawyer) and offered me a ride to Starbucks. It was out of his way, but he was still willing to help me get to where I needed to go. I gratefully accepted.

To him, it was a small gesture to help out someone. To me, it was so much more. It was me accepting help, and not being a stubborn pain-in-the-arse. It was me getting where I needed to go safely (and yes, I usually don't accept rides from strangers but he checked out fine and again, it was cold and I needed to get to where I was going). It was me trusting someone. The point is?

There are still good people in this world. There are still people who want to help other people. There are still people who have a heart, who "put a little love in it." It was awesome to get a ride and not struggle to get there. It was great to have someone help me out. And it's prove that even in these dark days, good people still exist.

0 replies ^_^:

Post a Comment