12.9.11

There is a Redeemer, Jesus, God's own Son.

"Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it! Redeemed by the blood of the lamb! Redeemed through His infinitive mercy, His child and forever I am!"

To fully understand redemption, I think we need a good, solid definition for redemption. For me, an avid video gaming, redeeming is merely trading in your points or coins, and you get something better. Now, I'm quite certain that Martin Luther didn't sit around playing Final Fantasy, so clearly he is going for something else:


According to dictionary.com, there are nine ways to define "redeemed", but we are going with this one:

"to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner."

Galatians 3: 12-14 But the law is not based on faith; instead, the one who does these things will live by them. Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, because it is written: Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree. The purpose was that the blessing of Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that we could receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (HCSB)

What does this mean? It means that Christ, the beloved son of God, redeemed us. Not through points, not through coins, but through His own life and blood. "And when I think, that God, his Son, not sparing, sent Him to die, I scarce can take it. And on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, bled and died to take away my sins." It means that God loved us enough to do something that would break most (I won't say every) parent's hearts: He gave up His own son and watched Him suffer. Can you imagine? Think of the most important person in your life, and imaging having to give them up... but yet, you know you have the power to make it stop. You have the power to stop their pain, and they have the power to say the word and it will stop. But this is the answer. Can you imagine? This is the way that God redeemed us!

1 Peter 1:18-19 For you know that you were redeemed from your empty way of life inherited from the fathers, not with perishable things, like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish.

Jesus was the perfect lamb. He was sinless, pure, and innocent. And that is why this redemption "worked", why this payment was enough. This is how this payment was able to meet the price, and redeem our souls.

1 replies ^_^:

Nora the Explorer said...

Author Comments/Reflection:

First, I didn't see exactly what verses we were supposed to use, so I chose a couple on redemption. Second, I hope it is OK that I also quoted song lyrics (in both the title and in the post) because that fits with my normal blog style. Another reason for using a lot of quotes from hymns is they defined my younger faith, and what is starting to defrost my cold heart.

This is nothing I don't know with 11 years of Bible in school, and more years of college and church study. I mean, I've been taught this stuff since childhood, and so it's really nothing I don't know. However, even though I know it, it helps get it back reinstated in my life by expanding upon it. Knowing something, and fully living and BELIEVING something are two different cups of tea.

"There is power, power, wonder working power! In the blood, of the Lamb! There is power, power, wonder working power, in the precious blood of the lamb!"

And so, here I am. Reflecting on things I know...and wondering how I can apply them to my life.

Post a Comment