5.3.12

Chronic Pain Chronicles

Rate your pain on a scale of 1-10 with these really cheesy, not very helpful faces.


 For as long as I can remember, I've lived with chronic pain. I don't know what it's like to live a day without pain. It's so far out of my grasp that I cannot even envision it, I don't remotely know what it would look like. I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia last fall, but I've had the signs pointing to it for years. Interestingly enough, emotional trauma can cause fibro and I can't help but wonder if my childhood played a role in my development of the disorder.

It's hard. Some days, just a simple chore like doing the dishes takes everything out of me, and then the trash still leans against the door to be taken out, the clutter spreads over the floor, and I flop in bed with a n64 controller or a TV remote. It's hard. Some days just crawling out of bed to do a chore as simple as get a glass of water takes every ounce of effort I have.

It gets downright soul-crushing at times to know that all your friends are out having fun and living their lives, yet you are curled up in pain. Your life is on your computer, because being in the real world and interacting with people is far too painful. You ache and you hurt and it's to the point where you just plead with the doctors for a relief from the pain.

What sucks? The relief for my pain is out there. But my insurance refuses to cover it. Living in pain and knowing there are drugs out there to help but you cannot afford them is a real kick in the spirit. I try to keep upbeat and positive about the struggle, hoping maybe this treatment will help, maybe this drug will help. But I'm not Molly Clock from Scrubs, I can't keep rolling with the punches and keep upbeat and happy. 

It takes such a toll on my spirit. And it makes me hurt inside as well as out. I am sick and tired of being 24, and living in chronic pain. I'm sick of it. And I just want relief from it. I don't care if it's a drug, a treatment, a surgery. I don't care what it is anymore - I just want to live pain free for once. Some days I think just one, just one pain free day, completely pain free, would be enough. Just so I know what it's like. Just so I get a taste of what it could possibly feel like to not live like this.

I'd be happy to get the pain down to a tolerable level. I even told my doctor I've given up hope of ever being completely pain free.

But oh, how I wish it were possible. 

1 replies ^_^:

Jenn said...

Many hugs and much love to you, my friend.

Post a Comment