3.1.13

I am more than what I look like, and I'm more than where I've been



I am Nora. I also answer to Ang, Angel, Anniebear, Norabear, Liquie, Lique, and a plethora of other names. Never call me Angie. I am obsessed with Pokemon and Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and The Legend of Zelda, Mario and Knights of the Old Republic. I read manga and watch anime. I never match my socks.

I love pictures and my picture frames are everywhere (not quite everywhere as one fell off the wall today. Oops. Must fix that tomorrow). I love fleecey blankets. I love my stuffed animals. I love books. I collect DVDs. I collect soundtracks in languages other than English for no reason other than it's fun. I hate wearing velcro shoes.

I love my friends and am fiercely loyal. You mess with them, you're messing with me. I love and laugh and play. I love to sing. I used to play violin, but it's been years. I can also play recorder and tin whistle. I know that makes me wicked awesome. I also clearly enjoying using slang that makes me sound like I'm from England, but since I have a speech impediment might as well make people think it's a bloody accent, since I get asked that constantly, right?

I love Harry Potter and Narnia. I love cups of hot chocolate with whipped cream and nutmeg, and cups of tea with milk. I love The Princess Bride and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Fruits Basket and Fullmetal Alchemist, Air and Kiki's Delivery Service. I'm a Disney nut and I know a great amount of random Disney trivia that can dazzle your mind. I collect sock monkeys and ladybugs, decks of cards and Beanie Babies. I love penguins and elephants, keychains and postercards.

I like playing in the snow although I hate the cold, I love being barefoot in the grass. I love the feeling of fleece against my skin, I love the feeling of a warm heated blanket. I hate hugs and physical affection, but at the same time it's what I crave and long for.

I suffer from many disabilities and do not know what it's like to live a day without physical pain. I also suffer from major depressive disorder, ADD, anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and eating disorder not other specified along with suspected OCD, nonverbal learning disorder, and other things. I have too many physical ailments to list. I have both visible and invisible disabilities  but none of them are who I am and none of them define me.


This is who I am. Not just the last paragraph, but all the paragraphs. I am not just a cripple. I don't have faith that can move mountains just because I'm disabled and I'm not a superhero. I'm a regular person, just like anyone else. I'm a person who wants friends, who craves love and acceptance. I'm Nora, above it all. I'm no different than you, please don't treat me like I'm a lesser person just because I happen to be handicapped.

I hear the comments you make behind my back, and you can really bugger off. I watch you laughing as I'm struggling to open the door. I hear the snide remarks. I see the dirty looks. I'm not blind, I'm not deaf. And even if I were, you'd still be an asshole for acting like that. I'm a human being, despite my disabilities. I'm Ang, no matter how you slice it.

You don't have to act different around me, just because I'm Angelique: Optional Parts Not Included (And Even Missing Key Parts!). I'm still a friend you can trust, someone who would love to watch movies and play video games with you. It doesn't matter that I'm broken, because one day I will be mended albeit it may not be during this lifetime.

I am a person who loves rarely but deeply, who just wants someone to understand that I'm more than a disabled person. I just want people to realize that disabled people are just like anyone else. Even though at times we need more understanding, even though at times we may have to cancel plans last minute because we're sick, we're tired, we're hurting, we're in pain. We still are people, and just want to be treated as such.

0 replies ^_^:

Post a Comment