12.1.12

I live to make him proud

He died on 3 July 1975. He was 57 years old. And he is still one of the most important men in my life. Perhaps "still" isn't the best word to use, because I was born almost 12 years after he died and I never met him. I've never heard his voice. But I believe with all my heart that he's watching over me, and that he even visits the Rainbow Bridge to take care of my doggies. And he's the man that I live to make proud. I'm told he always wanted a daughter, and I often wondered if he had lived to see me born how my life would have been different. I'm told I would have been spoiled rotten, so perhaps it's for the best. I still wonder.

I'm told I have a bit of his temper. I wonder what other personality traits I share with him. I imagine he was rather sarcastic, and I, shockingly enough, am fluent in sarcasm. I wonder if he liked pathetic puns. I wonder if he was easily amused. I wonder if I look like him. From the few pictures I've seen, I can see some of his facial features in me, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

I may have never met him. I never will meet him, not in this life at least. But I have to wonder, does he look out for me? Does he send little messages from wherever he is? And does he love me as much as I love him? Does he see any of his little quirks in me? Does he see any of his wife in me?

Nevertheless, I live to make the man I never met proud. I live to be the girl that he says "Yeah, you see that beautiful brunette? That's MY granddaughter, and I'm proud of her."

1 replies ^_^:

Steph said...

Okay, first of all, how did you get that ^_^ face to show up next to the Replies counter? That's awesome!

Second, it is definitely not crazy for believing your grandfather is watching over you. Just because we've never met our deceased relatives doesn't mean they haven't met US, and even if they're not physically here, we still learn who they were through our living relatives. :)

My mom's father passed away in 1980, yet I am certain Grampa is watching over me and has been since the day I was born. It's the weirdest feeling, and sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for believing that, because how can someone I've never met still love me, and how can they take care of me from heaven? But, he does it. He does it for me and my whole family. I take comfort in that every day. :)

Post a Comment