29.1.12

You're beautiful, like a rainbow

One of my favourite commercials (more like a PSA)  has been the Dove - True Colors ad. I don't think it's been on television for a few years now. I remember it coming out my senior year of high school. That year sucked beyond measure, but that's a moot point.

Thing is? We all have things we don't like about ourselves. I struggle with my body image on a daily basis. It's a battle I constantly fight against myself.

The thing is? It doesn't matter that I walk with a limp or my knee snaps out of joint. It doesn't matter that my posture is awkward or I'm not a perfect weight. It doesn't matter because really, it's not much in the grand scheme of things. I doubt when my friends think of me they are thinking the same things I think when I look in the mirror (Gah, another blemish. Shit, my hair is a mess. Dammit, I look fat today. God, why don't my shoulders lie straight!). Instead, they think about the good things (and okay, maybe some of the annoying things like the fact they have to debate with me to get me to do things like, oh, eat) about my character.

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that while I belittle myself over my appearance, it's not what others do. And really, the things I hate so much are likely what others like. And I need to learn that it's not a big deal what's on the outside - that it's what's inside that really matters. And not fully inside, like my heart and my lungs (although I reckon those things are good as well) but the person I am deep within.

But I see your true colours shining through,
I see your true colours, and that's why I love you

(Wow, my nearly 3 am postings when I should be asleep are interesting. Curse you, insomnia!)

0 replies ^_^:

Post a Comment