17.1.12

Instead let there be a flood of justice



You turned your back on the homeless
And the ones that don't fit in your plan
Quit playing religion games
There's blood on your hands

Instead let there be a flood of justice

An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice
Instead of a show
I hate all your show



http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2012/01/16/christian-classmates-threaten-girl-with-eternal-rape-in-hell-for-removing-prayer-from-school/

*********

First of all, allow me to state my opinion on prayer in schools. This view has gotten me shunned and flamed by other Christians, but I actually do not support prayer in public schools. I am fine with events such as See You At The Pole. I have nothing against the Federation of Christian Athletes. But you know what? A prayer mural has no place in a public school. In the public school system, it should be a safe place for all. Christian, Muslim, Jew, Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist... it should be a safe haven for all.

And really? The public education's goal and purpose is to educate the child. MY child. Their job is not to teach my children about faith in God and religion. Christian teachers? Fine! Wonderful! They want to talk about their religion outside of the classroom and interact with my child? Sweet! But in the class room? Not cool. It's not that person's job to be shepherding my kid's faith.

You know who's job that is? That's MY job, my FAMILY'S job, my CHRUCH'S job. We should not place that job in the hands of a public school. I am fine with my children learning about different religions even as a part of World History as knowing the religion and how faith impacted that era of history is often critical to the events. But prayer in public schools? Keep it out.

That aside, let's look at the manner. We live in a culture, in a world, where we are told to stand out for what we believe. I can't count the number of times in high school I was urged to "stand for what is right." To speak out for what I believed. This is what Jessica did. And what happened? She was cruelly bullied!

This is what gives Christians a bad name. Thing is? These teenagers are likely hearing this at home. It's what their parents believe. And frankly, it rings of the Westboro Baptist Church. (Good grief, the church's URL is godhatesfags.com? Way to promote love there, mate!). These are NOT what true Christians are.

I often believe that these people are naturally hateful, and are looking for something to blame it on. Something they can use to help themselves not seem so hateful. After all, if we candy-coat and sugar-frost it with religion, it doesn't seem so bad, now does it? But because people do things like this, it paints all Christians with a tainted paintbrush.

If these people want to witness to this girl? There's other ways to do it! Talk to her about why she wanted the mural taken down. Be respectful to her. Listen to her views, and tastefully state yours. But telling her Satan is going to rape her? That you're doing a holocaust to atheists? Tell me, how does that promote your cause? It makes you look like a righteous idiot. Christianity boils down to a doctrine of love, and this is NOT what you are promoting. You disagree with her courageous, right choice? Fine, you have the right to that. Jessica, however, has the right to feel safe in her school. She hasn't come back to the school? THE POOR GIRL IS FEARING FOR HER LIFE!

And really? If you're telling her that "God is going to fuck your ass" why are you serving that kind of God? That's not remotely the kind of God that I want to serve nor IS it the God I serve. If you want people to rot in hell, I suggest you examine yourself more closely and read your Bible better. I suggest you see how Jesus responded to the Pharisees. And I suggest you examine yourself deeply because you are NOT promoting the Gospel that is promoted in Scripture.

I applaud the court's decision. I am thrilled that the police are taking the threats seriously. I am disgusted and sickened by the students doing this in the name of religion, because it's not what Jesus is about. And above all, I pray that Jessica finds peace in the midst of this. I pray that she has a supportive family who is helping her through this. And I hope that these students see how badly they are tarnishing the name of Christianity and get a life.

4 replies ^_^:

Steph said...

"It's not that person's job to be shepherding my kid's faith."

If only all people of religious faith held that attitude. I love this post, you phrase everything so eloquently!!

Nora said...

Thanks, Steph! :D

B said...

I agree with you. I wrestled with something similar today. It was a link on a video from Focus on the Family. In the link, someone said that people should "religion is a family value, keep it in your home". In a way I agreed with it, because I feel that religion is a personal decision and I'm not in the business to tell others how to worship or that if they don't, they will burn in eternal damnation. My response was quite simple. Focus on the Family should well, focus on the family, and not on the lives and activities of others. That's where my focus is. My family, my faith, and my life.

If others would focus on themselves, keep their eyes on their paper, and do what's right for them, they would find more satisfaction from religion. I'm so tired of the Westboro Baptist type of "Christian" who does nothing but throw stones and condemns others for their sins.

Here is the link (I apologize in advance that they keep mentioning Tim Tebow, sorry for the annoyance. I was responding mostly due to Focus on the Family)
http://fxn.ws/wgb9WQ

Here was my response:
"I agree. The focus SHOULD be on your family, and not others. Religion for me is a personal decision. I'm not trying to convert people, curse people, or proselytize people for my religion. My religion works for me and I have a personal relationship with God. Religion works for Tebow with his personal relationship.

If someone else wants to do other things, then that's on them. I'm not going to condemn other people for what they want to do with their own lives. They deserve love and deserve the right to live their lives as they see fit.

Focus on the FAMILY, which is what is at home. Yes, I agree. My wife, my daughter; they mean everything to me."

Nora the Explorer said...

That's the thing B - it is about family. It is a personal thing. People have the right to believe what they want. If someone believes in the Flying Purple People Eater as the Saivour of Mankind, well, I might think they are a bit whacky, but they have that right to do so in their own home. However, if they want me to stand up every morning and sing "Kum-ba-yah" backwards in honour of it, I draw the line there. A bit absurd analogy, but it serves the purpose (and I didn't want to offend anyone. If you do indeed believe in the Flying Purple People Eater, please talk to me :P).

Believe what you want - but know it is your job to instill those in your family.

Post a Comment